Mike - EMAIL IGNORED a écrit :
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:35:03 +0200, Josiane BERNILLON wrote:

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED a écrit :
I have two boxes on my intranet each running
Apache 2.0 under FC4.  My Linksys firewall directs
port 80 to BoxA.  Both boxes are also running
iptables, including libipq.

BoxA has my html tree. I have a number of .jpg
files, some as large as 10 meg.  The various
directories containing the .html files contain
soft links to the directories, in another tree
containing, the .jpg files.

All this is operated by a complex CGI, written in
C++.  Most of the .html files the client sees are
generated by this CGI.

I would like to move the .jpg tree to BoxB,
transparent to the client. In broad terms, how
should I do this?  What should I read to get the
particulars?

Thanks for your help.

Mike.

Maybe one way to this :

- let's say jour .jpg files are in /../......./imgs/ on BoxA
on BoxB:
- create a /../.../imgs2/ on BoxB
- copy your .jpg into .../img2/
- start an NFS server on BoxB (I don't work on FC4, but if you don't know anytaing about NFS, you can look here <http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/NFSv4/NFSv4-no-rpcsec.html>
- share .../img2/ for BoxA

on BoxA
- create a .../.../imgs3
- mount .../img2/ on ..../img3/
- change your soft links in the html tree to .../img3/

No problem for users.

If they could wait some minutes, and if you have some BACKUP of your .jpg
on BoxA
- remove all .jpg from .../imgs/...
- mount .../img2/ on /imgs/
then you don't need to change soft links.

jobern

[...]

This looks like a good possibility.  It also appears
from Apache documentation that ProxyPassReverse under
virtual host might be able to accomplish what I need.
Is this true?  If so, how do the two methods compare
with regard to efficiency and security?

Thanks,
Mike.
I think it's true, but I never use it and could't help you on this topic.
I just give you a quick way to free space on your BoxA disk without reconfiguring your Apaches servers....
--
Josiane