On 05/10/06, Johan R.-Ericson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello!

I apologise if this is an FAQ but I've tried finding an answer to this question with the usual suspects (google, FAQs, mailing list archives) but no such luck [granted, I may have unknowingly already stumbled across the answer...].

I am having trouble with getting filenames to reproduce correctly when uploading and later downloading from an Apache 2.0.55  (set with UTF-8 as default) server on a Linux SLES 9 server.  I am using a simple PHP script to upload the files, and generate an index.html page with a link to the uploaded file.

This works fine as long as i stick to 7-bit ascii character filenames. As soon as i start using charcters outside of that range I'm in trouble. I'm currently testing swedish and chinese characters. The upload works OK. I can see the files in the filesystem (represented correctly). Also, the filename in the index.html file is correctly reproduced. However once I point my browser to the index.html file my problem appears. If I simply click on the link to the file (a jpg/png/bmp/gif file) it is downloaded to my client but with a garbled name (I'm assuming the byte-code representation of the UTF-8 characters). If I right click and choose "save link as" / "save target as" then the filename is represented correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening and how to resolve it?

TIA,
Johan

Hi again,

digging into this issue some more I found that the Tomcat server has a configuration option that seems to deal with this : URIEncoding

I could not find a similar option for the httpd server, does anyone have any further
information? Maybe I should post this as a question on the developer list?

Regards,
Johan