After I commented the following lines in httpd.conf,
the KeepAlive on a HTTPS server was working.

#BrowserMatch "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive
#BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0
force-response-1.0
#SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
#         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
#         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
#         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

but I am not sure what is the negative impact of this
disabling.  If you know it, please let me know.

Many Thanks, Q.Xie