On Monday 23 October 2006 17:56, Qingshan Xie wrote:

>    I read the docs at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/keepalive.html which
> indicates that,
> "However, Keep-Alive support only is active with files
> where the length is known beforehand. This means that
> most CGI scripts, server-side included files and
> directory listings will not use the Keep-Alive
> protocol."

That sounds like a description of HTTP/1.0.  I haven't looked at
the relevant code, but I suspect it is true of all Apache 1.x,
because it lacks the filter architecture that makes it easy
to support HTTP chunked encoding.

> Does this KeepAlive protocol still applies on
> Apache-2.x?   or say, KeepAlive cannot be applied to
> CGI scripts on Apache-2.x?  I did a test on
> Apache-2.0.59, it seems the keep-alive is still on
> when a CGI request sent.  Can some one explain it?

Apache 2 supports chunked encoding, so keepalive follows
all the recommendations of HTTP/1.1.  If the browser asks for
it (as is the default in HTTP/1.1), then apache will do it.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/