On 10/23/06, joseph chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
HI,list;

     as the title mentioned, after some simple tests on apache-1.3.37
apache-2.0.58, and 2.2.2/3, it's seems that httpd-1.3.* is  the best version
for cgi/fcgi service.

      My hardware platform is dell 1850 and 1750 and os is rhel-as4update4,
and the env is purely cgi and fastcgi, no other type of files served. the
test is very simple: we choose thirty servers rannning different version of
apache on our produnction enviroment for many weeks,  these servers have the
same visit-load. the result  described  below:

    1, On http-1.3, these system sometimes have a very high sysload, but
these is little abnormal cgi processes(the PPID equal 1, and doing nothing)
, even after "apachectl graceful" or "apachectl restart".

    2, On http-2.0 and http-2.2 there always some abnormal cgi process(per
180 processes,there will be 1 cgi process at least), after graceful there
comes some abnormal fastcgi process, they cost a lot of  cpu time and cannot
exit by themselves, we need to kill them by hand.

    3, when the server running apache-2.* faced a very highload visitting ,
the syslod will up to 300 in less the 30 seconds. after the highload
visitting, the sysload will down to 3 in less then 60 seconds.

 my question is:
Is this the flaw of the cgi/fcgi files or the  defect of apache or the
misconfigration of FCGI?
any directions will be appreciated.

Forking cgis on a threaded server is complicated.  So your problem is
not really 1.3 versus 2.x, but rather threaded versus non-threaded.
2.2 with prefork would probably behave at least as well as 1.3.

If you wish to work with a threaded mpm under 2.x, then the next thing
to look at is which cgi module you are using: mod_cgi or mod_cgid.
The latter is necessary on many OSes.

Beyond that, I'm not really an expert in this area.

Joshua.