2.0.59 mod_proxy, but dont ever observed the problem that you described.

by every HTTP request you send to apache, apache tryes to reach the backend, try to sniff the traffic between client -> reversproxy & reverse proxy -> backend to see whats happening.

it may be an configuration failure

Nico -telmich- Schottelius schrieb:
I guess no one uses mod_proxy with reverse Proxy in a productive
environment in here?

Nico

Nico -telmich- Schottelius [Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 09:24:53AM +0200]:
Hello!

I am using Apache/2.2.3 on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE with mod_proxy
enabled.

When I restart the backend (same setup), the frontend server
returns "Service temporarily not available" although the backend
is already restarted.

It looks like apache caches that the backend was unavailable
and waits $not_yet_known time until it retries.

I am wondering
   a) whether one can tell apache always to retry and never deliver
      the service unavailable message
   b) whether apache can be 'tuned' to use a lower delay for rechecking?

I did not find anything regarding that issue in the bugtracker nor
in the mod_proxy documentation.

Nico

--
``...if there's one thing about Linux users, they're do-ers, not whiners.''
(A quotation of Andy Patrizio I completely agree with)