To add to Joshua's advice about logging, remember that apache will only
gzip the data if the client asks for it. Before the server will zip the
response, the client has to send a request-header like;

        Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate

Most recent browsers do this by default but if you are using an ancient
browser, or wget or even telnet to hit the server, you won't get
compression unless you ask for it...

If you really want to be sure, use FireFox with the LiveHTTPHeaders
extension. Then you can see exactly what each party is saying to the
other.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> This is the .conf file:
>
> LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
> DeflateFilterNote ratio
>
> CustomLog logs/deflate_log deflate
> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
> \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" common
> LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
> LogFormat %{User-agent}i agent
> LogFormat '"%v %h %l %u %t "%r" %>s %b "%{Referer}i"
> "%{User-Agent}i"" (%{ratio}n)' deflate
>
> CustomLog logs/A_SUSRID6_access_log common
> CustomLog logs/A_SUSRID6_referer_log referer
> CustomLog logs/A_SUSRID6_agent_log agent
> CustomLog logs/deflate_log deflate
>
> <Location />
> SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
> </Location>
>

> This is the log file(the original file size is 151806, the
> compressed file size is still 151806):
> "jiasl 127.0.0.1 - - [09/Nov/2006:17:56:34 +0800] "GET /
> HTTP/1.1" 200 151806 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0;
> Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"" (-)
>

> Thanks.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.