On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 04:26:30PM -0600, Dan Page wrote:
> I recently did a yum upgrade on my centos 4.3 mail server.   As soon
> as the upgraded completed, my apache quite working.  When I do a
> /usr/sbin/apachectl start i get no output, a restart reports "httpd
> not running, trying to start" and stop reports: httpd (no pid file)
> not running"

Well, there won't be any .pid file if httpd isn't running now, will
there? :)

> There is nothing reported in the error log.  Also parsing the config
> file with /usr/sbin/httpd -t gives: " Syntax OK"
> But I do notice that the hpttd.pid file is missing.  I've tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling the RPM but with no luck.

Well, we're getting kind of distro-specific here, but what if you try
starting Apache via the distro's initscript script (/etc/init.d/httpd
start). Furthermore, are there any special options you put in
/etc/sysconfig/httpd, /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf or the configfiles in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/ ?

--
Riemer Palstra                                Amsterdam, The Netherlands
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                http://www.palstra.com/