Exactly, but for a public-facing web site we have no saying in whether
clients use a firewall or not :(

Also, doesn't this mean that someone could effectively take down the
entire server by opening (MaxWorkers) requests every 5 minutes
and then just not respond to / read the response at all?

Wouldn't this make apache a very easy (D)-DoS target?

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Is there a way to reduce the write-to-client timeout in Apache?

FWIW, I think I'll look into PHP's built-in outbut buffering feature
to reduce the the issue of locked PHP session files while writes time
out.

- Frode