You only need a separate IP for every virtual host if you are not using a wildcard certificate. Wildcard certs cost a little more, but they are good for all hosts within a particular domain. Then, you can run all of your vhosts on port 443 with the same IP, and the cert will work for all of the vhosts.

Also, if you choose to go with a non-wildcard cert, you can actually run several virtual hosts on the same IP, using different certs for each vhost, but then you are forced to run SSL over a non-standard port. At that point, you need to tell Apache to listen on that port, and configure each of your virtual hosts to listen on both port 80 and whatever port you assign it for SSL transactions. SSL binds to a particular socket, so it's a combination of IP + port number that is unique.

And, it's always necessary to have a separate and complete set of configuration directives for each port that a vhost runs under.

Rob