iptables redirects to the VirtualHost which rewrites to the script housed on
localhost. The script does some processing then "re-requests" the original
request based on the parameters and query string passed to it.

google.com will display just fine except for the logo image which gets
re-written to http://10.0.255.1/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif

If I add a third rule, "RewriteRule (.*) http://www.google.com$1 [P]", the
image is fetched appropriately. The question is how do I dynamically
determine what the appropriate HTTP_HOST should be?

Is my approach "fixable"? Or should I be attacking this differently?

Listen *:10000
<VirtualHost *:10000>
   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteCond %{SERVER_NAME}          !^10\.0\.255\.1$
   RewriteRule (.*)                                 "
http://10.0.255.1/cgi-bin/script.pl?%{SERVER_NAME}%{REQUEST_URI}&";
[QSA,L]
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI}            !script\.pl
   RewriteRule ^/cgi-bin/(.*)$         "http://$1?"; [P]
</VirtualHost>
ProxyRequests On
<Proxy *>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 10.0.255.0/24
</Proxy>

On 11/30/06, Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 11/30/06, A. K. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The mod_rewrite doc mentions that the E=VAR:VAL flag "[can be used] to
strip
> but remember information from URLs".
>
> What exactly does that mean?
>
> I need to "remember" the values of certain EV's after a rewrite process
has
> completed. It would be particluarly useful to me know what the original
> HTTP_HOST was as requests come through for content referenced by
relative
> paths on the original host but the HTTP_HOST has already been rewritten.
>
> Could I use SetEnv to create an EV called ORIGINAL_HOST and then set it
> the value of HTTP_HOST prior to rewrites so that I can reference it
during
> subsequent rewrites?
>
> What would be the best method for accomplishing this? Or am I totally
off
> the mark regarding what SetEnv and E=VAR:VAL do?

You need to provide some details on your configuration, because the
answer changes depending on whether you are using internal rewriting
(aliasing), external rewriting (redirecting) or proxying.

Joshua.