It was thus said that the Great Boyle Owen once stated:

> > On Friday 01 December 2006 14:05, uxwrstre wrote:
> > > shows the following: [Fri Dec  1 13:33:43 2006] [error] [client
> > > 134.171.16.75] Premature end of script headers:
> > > /home/web/archive/docs/bin/http-goto
> >
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I found out the problem!
> > The problem was that the CGI-BIN C program worked perfectly
> > in the console but
> > did a segmentation fault while called by apache. It seems that this
> > segmentation fault appears only if apache calls this process.
> > I suppose that
> > the cgi-bin program is buggy.
> > It would be good to integreate in apache in the error
> > logfiles on cgi-bin
> > program failure an output in the log files like Signal 11
> > SIGSEGV received or
> > something like that.

  One trick I've done under Unix, debugging CGI programs in C is to add the
following to the CGI program:

volatile int global_debug = 1;

int main(int argc,char *argv[])
{
  while (global_debug)
    ;

  /* rest of code */
}

Compile the program (I'm assuming GCC here, change according to platform)
with debugging information (for gcc, that's the "-g" option, turn off
optimizations).  Now, in a browser, cause Apache to launch the CGI program.
The program will start, then sit there (in a tight CPU loop).  Then, from
the command line, do:

RootPrompt# ps aux      # find process id of CGI program
RootPrompt# gdb cgiprogram processid
        gdb blah blah blah blah

At the gdb prompt:

gdb> set global_debug = 0
gdb> c

When it segfaults, type 'where' at the gdb prompt and you'll get the
location of the fault (although it may be some library routine, you'll get a
stack trace and can probably figure out where the fault actually is).

  Now, onto the Apache portion of our program.

> If only it were so easy... It's not the apache process that runs the
> program - apache forks a new process to run the program. So it's the
> forked prog that gets the signal, not apache. Apache is just listening
> for output from the program and produces the canonical error message if
> it doesn't get a recognisable CGI header.

  But since Apache spawned the program, it must, at some point, to a wait()
or waitpid() on the child process to get the return code (else you end up
with a zombie process).  Something like:

        result = wait(childpid);
        if (WIFEXITED(result) == 0)     /* abnormal termination of child */
        {
          if (WIFSIGNALED(result))      /* we exited on uncaught signal */
          {
            sig = WTERMSIG(result);     /* get signal that wasn't caught */
            /* log signal ... */
          }
        }

  -spc (Can you tell I've done this one too many times?)