Yup, that did the trick.

I got into this predicament in the first place because I was trying to set up a default-content "hole" in a vhost served by mod_perl. That's where the "SetHandler default" directive came from (it works for static content like images and JavaScript). But when I set up a separate vhost and left off the SetHandler directives completely it worked like a charm.

Thanks guys.