When you use the "C:/directory/file" format your browser is fetching the
file directly from the filesystem and displaying it as best it can; your
apache webserver is not involved in the process at all. So there will be no
execution of the CGI script, as that takes place inside apache.

I have a set of cgi scripts that will only run when addressed with an '
http://type URL' and not the 'C:/directory/file' format.  When I need to
use cgi Apache produces a 'Save As' Dialog box because the http server is
being bypassed.  I can't figure out how to rewrite how my cgi programs are
addressed.  I don't want the Document Root included, I need the http://
format for them to run.

EG

--