Nick Kew wrote:
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 21:53:26 -0500
Tom Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The only clear question you've asked is the one in the subject
line.  That has an easy answer - look up "apxs" in the documentation
at httpd.apache.org.

Thanks for the pointer. I did find http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/programs/apxs.html which covers the specific mechanics of building a single module. I guess what I was attempting to ask was for a "fuller" explanation. I've been a linux admin for several years, and have used apache to host basic web pages as well as some PHP-based applications with MySQL back ends. This has typically been on Redhat variants, where the core apache configuration was really managed by Redhat packagers.

I'm trying to move to OS X, but have had some frustrations. Apple includes apache 1.3, and since I've been running apache 2.x for a LONG time, I have no interest in trying to get my applications to run on that version of apache. I was easily able to download the apache 2.2.3 code and compile it (naturally, without arcane flags passed to the configure script, modules don't get built.) Doing some more research, I was able to get some modules built, but the examples that I saw did not include all of the modules that I need, and I'm not sure where to go to find more information.

What's particularly confusing to me is *exactly* which modules I need. My concern is that I may figure out the stuff I need to build a particular module, but in my ignorance I'll overlook some other module that is critical to my success. I'm sure that I don't need all of the modules included in the Redhat distribution, but I'm not sure which others I need or what the implications may be of leaving some out.

Here's a list of the modules loaded in my httpd.conf. Any idea where I can get more information about whether I care about the individual modules?

LoadModule access_module modules/mod_access.so
LoadModule auth_module modules/mod_auth.so
LoadModule auth_anon_module modules/mod_auth_anon.so
LoadModule auth_dbm_module modules/mod_auth_dbm.so
LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
LoadModule cache_module modules/mod_cache.so
LoadModule ldap_module modules/mod_ldap.so
LoadModule auth_ldap_module modules/mod_auth_ldap.so
LoadModule ext_filter_module modules/mod_ext_filter.so
LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so
LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule log_forensic_module modules/mod_log_forensic.so
LoadModule logio_module modules/mod_logio.so
LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so
LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/mod_cern_meta.so
LoadModule expires_module modules/mod_expires.so
LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.so
LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
LoadModule php4_module modules/libphp4.so
LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule asis_module modules/mod_asis.so
LoadModule info_module modules/mod_info.so
LoadModule suexec_module modules/mod_suexec.so
LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so
LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule imap_module modules/mod_imap.so
LoadModule actions_module modules/mod_actions.so
LoadModule speling_module modules/mod_speling.so
LoadModule userdir_module modules/mod_userdir.so
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so I could google every individual module, and try to figure out what each does, but really I'm not interested in being an apache guru - I want to continue to be an apache *user* as I have been for more than a decade. I was hoping that someone had written a howto which covers building a "general purpose" apache configuration for hosting simple web applications.

Finally, here's the reason that I want to build another version of apache: I get an error when loading large web pages via ssl. What I'm finding is that if I load pages that have a lot of data (big photos, or lots of text) Firefox throws the error "Firefox received a message with incorrect Message Authentication Code. If the error occurs frequently, contact the website administrator." It's consistently reproducible and since my web server is behind a firewall, I'm pretty sure that it's not the million question attack.

Thanks much for any light you can shed on this.

Regards,
Tom