I've been watching this forum for sometime and this question appeared here
several times. So far nobody posted a solution that would allow Apache
working as proxy to pass client certificate to a backend server. The only
worked way was Apache (2.2.3) + mod_jk + Tomcat which isn't applicable to
your case because you use WebSphere. I don't know if WebSphere supports AJP
connectors, if it does you can try mod_jk. Otherway you can extract
necessary fields from client cert and put them into environment (I suppose
you use *NIX platform) then you can read them from your Java application.

Probably I've to modify my application if there is no other way to send
all client certificate info to my application server via proxy reverse.

Actually the web application on WebSphere is using
javax.net.ssl.peer_certificates and then it extracts the first OU field.

How can I display the entire content of my request (all the data I send to
the application server with the header too)?
I've tried setting Loglevel debug in my webserver configuration file but
in my log I cannot recognise such information.

Please let me know

ManuciaoThanks!

 *Christian Gottschalch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>*

28/12/2006 10.53  Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org  cc

 Subject
Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Apache and client certs

if you use Apache Reverse Proxy, then SSL Session will be terminated at
the Reverse Proxy and the SSL Authentication / verification is done by
reverse proxy

to transport some certificate information to your WebSphere can use:

RequestHeader set "HTTP_USER_ID" %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN}e

The WebSphere Application now can authorize the user based on http
header "HTTP_USER_ID", but your application must be able to.

You also may have a look at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#forwardreverse

regards