There might be no reference to any ssl.conf in the httpd.conf, it may be that the whole conf.d directory is included with something like

Include /path/to/conf.d/*.conf

Serge Dubrouski wrote:
Look into your httpd.conf file.

1. You can have Include ssl.conf or conf/extra/httpd_ssl.conf or some
other name (some Linux distros repackage config file)

2. Nothing prevent an admin from putting SSL config into httpd.conf directly

in any case READ YOUR HTTPD.CONF file.

apachectl is just a simple script that call httpd with different
command line parameters, there is no code in apachectl that reads any
config files.

On 12/29/06, Shweta Patel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> That because in 2.2.3 it's extra/httpd_ssl.conf

1. In that case why is the server even looking into the file
/etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf ?

2. When or where in the Server code does it look for ssl.conf ? Basically
I'm looking for the initial steps that occur once we call apachectl start

Thanks again.

On 12/29/06, Serge Dubrouski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That because in 2.2.3 it's extra/httpd_ssl.conf
>
> On 12/29/06, Shweta Patel < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I do not have the permissions to do so and hence was looking for
> > alternatives.
> >
> > I greped the source for httpd.2.2.3 but could not find an explicit
reference
> > to the path "/etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf" and was wondering how the
server
> > picks up this path since I'm not starting it with ssl support and have
my
> > prefix directories given?
> >
> > Thanks again.

> > '/etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt' does not

> > > Sure, edit the httpd.conf file and remove the "include ssl.conf" bit,
or
> > > rename ssl.conf in ssl.conf.old
> > >
> > > Davide
> > >

> > > --
> > > A distributed system is one in which the failure of a computer you
> > > didn't even know existed can render your own computer unusable.
> > > -- Leslie Lamport

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >   "   from the digest:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]