>The issue here is that the library Apache is dependent on is installed
>with gcc, so the only way for me to get it is to install the gcc RPM.
>Do you keep gcc libraries on your boxes?
>
>One such library dependency is
>/opt/freeware/lib/gcc/powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0/4.0.0/libgcc_s.a.

Sorry, my example has nothing to do with the Apache web server.  It has
to do with completely different software that we build at where I work.
We use Solaris 8 and 10.  The idea would be exactly the same for Linux.

You do not need to install the RPMs.  All you need to do is copy the
dynamic libraries that it is looking for into the standard library path.
They'll then get picked up when the program starts.  You can make your
own simple installer CD (not a RPM) that they can use.

BTW, the library you list above is a static library, not a dynamic library.
Standard library archives (*.a) are not distributed.  Dynamic libraries
are lib*.so.* files.

What is nice with Solaris is that new production boxes are built with what
is called a "flash."  A system is put together that will be a production
box.  Tools are then used to create a "flash," which is a copy of the of
the complete layout.  No need to install the os and modifications for
each new system.  I do not know how your production boxes are built.

MB
--
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                /~\ The ASCII
                                                         \ / Ribbon Campaign