If you "replaced the default content" by pointing the DoumentRoot statement
at your site contents, then you'll have to change the corresponding
<DIrectory> block which grants access to the document root.  The <Directory>
block for the default document root is setup during installation, and looks
typically like this: (there are also lots of descriptive comments)

<Directory "/var/www/html">
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
   AllowOverride None
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>

If you have this setup correctly, make sure that the userid/group running
apache has both r and x access to each of the parent directories of your
document root as well.