To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 4:04 PM
Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Question regarding Squid / Apache

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if setting up Squid as a reverse proxy in front of our
hardware-load-balanced Apache/Tomcat-installations could boost up
performance.

After I did some reading about Squid, I understood:

- Squid is caching requests
- I can prevent Squid from caching dynamic content
- Squid is SSL-compliant
- we would not use Squid as a load-balance
- Squid is caching the outgoing data within the file-system

And that's the point:

Why should it be faster serving a request via Squid that also loads
the data from the file-system then serving it via Apache HTTPD, that
also reads the data from the file-system?
As I said, our application is SSL-based and protected via
mod_auth_cookie_mysql / securty-constraint within Tomcat, if that
helps to judge on a possible performance-optimization.

Looking forward to your comments!

Greg
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2