Could anyone help me with a problem I have using mod_rewrite to send an https
request from apache to tomcat. I have a couple of questions:
Does my working rule (below) break the security imposed by SSL by
redirecting to port 8080?
Why does my rewrite rule to the ssl port on tomcat fail?

In this example the tomcat application name is the same as the subdomain
name.

My current rewrite rule that works is:

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} "^(GET|POST) https://.*";
RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://localhost:80/ [F,L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} "!^/sub_domain_name/.*"
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8080/sub_domain_name/$1 [P]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/sub_domain_name/.*
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8080/$1 [P]

Since port 8080 is not secure I have tried the following, but it does not
work:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} "!^/sub_domain_name/.*"
RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://localhost:8444/sub_domain_name/$1 [P]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/sub_domain_name/.*
RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://localhost:8444/$1 [P]

https is on 8444 rather than 8443 because a plesk system is running on 8443.
The tomcat certificate has been generated and the server.xml modified.
Tomcat is happy serving pages on https://localhost:8444 directly so why
would this rewrite rule fail?

The mod_rewrite log has the same output (except for the urls used in the
rewrite) for both of these rules, so thats no help.
the ssl_error log says:
RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `localhost.localdomain' does NOT
match server name!?
the error_log has a similar warning:
[warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `plesk' does NOT match server
name!?