Thanks for the reply Rob.

For the benefit of anyone following this thread :

I finally got this working using  mod_authn_mysql  ,

http://www.gknw.net/development/apache/httpd-2.2/win32/modules/mod_authn_mysql-2.2.3-w32.zip

At first I thought id didn't work because Apache would crash with this error:

"Client does not support authentication protocol"

This was because the MySQL client built into the mod was not compatible with MySQL 5.x To make it compatible, we needed to tell MySQL server to use the old password encoding per,

http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/PHP_FAQ near the bottom, look for the above error message.

So, it works, no idea how stable it is.

I guess I should really learn how to compile the modules but I already have too many jobs!

:)

At 11:18 AM 1/23/2007, you wrote:

Nathan Kellogg <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> There is also mod_auth_mysql which I got to work on 2.2.3 for both
>> user and group (at the time I tried 2.2.3, only user auth was
>> available). There is a patch available for mod_auth_mysql-3.0.0 to
>> make it compile with Apache 2.2.3.
>
> We installed the compiled version of mod_auth_mysql for Apache
> 2.2.3 but when attempting to access the protected are Apache
> crashes with:

mod_authn_mysql != mod_auth_mysql. See below.

> [Tue Jan 23 10:35:40 2007] [error] [mod_authn_mysql.c] MySQL
> Connection to mysql://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/dolauth Failed: Client does not
> support authentication protocol requested by server; consider
> upgrading MySQL client

mod_authn_mysql.c, to my knowledge, is not part of mod_auth_mysql so if
you ask me the error doesn't come from mod_auth_mysql.

>     AuthType Digest
              ^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure and I didn't look it up, but the error above may be due to
the fact that digest authtype isn't supported by mod_authn_mysql that
you seem to be using. See below.

>     AuthnMySQLServerConfig SRV1

AuthnMySQLServerConfig is not a mod_auth_mysql directive.
http://modauthmysql.sourceforge.net/CONFIGURE

> LoadModule authn_mysql_module modules/mod_authn_mysql.so

Again, mod_authn_mysql != mod_auth_mysql.
               ^                 ^
---------------|-----------------|

I have something like this:

<Directory "<dirname>">
  AuthName "Authentication required."
  AuthType Basic

  AuthMySQLHost <db_host>
  AuthMySQLDB <db_name>
  AuthMySQLUser <db_user>
  AuthMySQLPassword <db_pass>

  AuthMySQLAuthoritative On
  AuthMySQLPwEncryption <enc_type>

  AuthMySQLUserTable <users_table>
  AuthMySQLGroupTable <groups_table>
  AuthMySQLNameField <field_name_user>
  AuthMySQLPasswordField <field_name_pass>
  AuthMySQLGroupField <field_name_group>

  AuthMySQLEnable On

  Require group admin
</Directory>

> Any ideas?

Well, install package mod_auth_mysql-3.0.0 if available for your distro,
configure it with mod_auth_mysql directives and try with "AuthType
Basic". The above config works for me so.

Grts,
Rob