You just put a WAP file (ie, page.wml) in the server (eg,
http://server/page.wml) then hit that URL from the phone.

I get the feeling you're not really sure about how WAP works... It's
really just the same as normal HTTP - the only difference is that the
content is in a different mark-up language (eg, WML or HDML instead of
HTML). The other big difference is that the phone doesn't connect
directly to the server, rather, it sends a request to an HTTP gateway
computer in the base station and it is the gateway that makes the
request (via the internet) to the server. So the phone -> gateway link
is over GPRS/UTMS/EDGE or whatever and the gateway -> server link is
over Plain Old HTTP.

If all you've got is an apache server on localhost then it obviosuly
won't work - your server needs to be accessible on the public internet,
with a registered domain name and public IP and everything.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle