Joshua, that is not entirely true.

By making believe you're running a different webserver
than you really are ... you can  potentionally buy
yourself some valuable time.

If an attacker wants to attack/criple your site,
he/she will most likely first try all known
vulnerabilities for that webserver first.

So, if you make it appear you're running IIS, while in
reality you're running Apache, there is a big chance
you'll see IIS attacks hit your webserver first, which
will hopefully set off your IDS.

I have modsecurity running on my apache instances, and
I often see all kinds of IIS exploits hitting my box.
This then gives me time to look thru my various apache
and firewall logs, and take some corrective measures
like for instance slapping some IPTables rules on the
box to block that IP.

If I wouldn't be masking my web server, I'd probably
get hit with Apache exploits right-away, which could
potentionally give me less time to respond since an
attacker could potentionally find either a way in
and/or do damage much quicker.

Granted, this is not ALWAYS the case ... but in my
experience it really does help.