Hi,

I'm new to this list (hello!).  Hope this is the right place to ask
my question. I have searched the web quite extensively for answers
but not got any.

I want to do Content Negotiation with a mime type (application/xhtml+xml)
using its "profile" parameter. My server is a Apache 2.2.3, and
currently I am using the +MultViews flavour of Content Negotiation.

I want to associate a filename extension .mhtml to

  application/xhtml+xml;profile="FOO"

so that:

1. a web client requesting "...application/xhtml+xml;profile="FOO"..."
in its HTTP Accept header will receive such a file if it exists
but will NOT receive other application/xhtml+xml documents from
existing servers across the web unless that document has the
parameter value profile="FOO" explicitly set at the server.

2. a web client requesting plain old "...application/xhtml+xml..."
in its HTTP Accept header will also receive such a file if it exists
whatever the parameter values at the server are;

3. clients not asking for application/xhtml+xml or asking for
"...application/xhtml+xml;profile="BAR"..." will not get these files.
(If they ask for */* only I will provide a text/html file as the default
according to the usual Apache rules.)

My understanding of the specs (
  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.1
and
  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3236.txt
) tells me that this should be possible and that it has already been
forseen that people like me would need this feature, but I can't
seem to configure my Apache to do it.  All the obvious attempts
at an AddType directive fail.  I'd be grateful for any pointers
or help, even (sadly) if you have to tell me that I have misread
the specs and what I want is not possible.

Many thanks

Richard

(Richard Kaye)