apache-2.0.0.1
joomla-1.0.12

So I want to keep the joomla directory in a path that has nothing to do with the site's DocumentRoot. I am assuming this brings more security. But what I'd like to do is take out the need for joomla to be nested in the http://www.site.com/main URL

I'd like joomla to appear without 'main' in the URL - like http://www.site.com/

how would I configure my httpd.conf file to allow this behavior.

---- config ----

       DocumentRoot /a/www/data/www.site.com

       Alias /main /a/www/joomla/

       RewriteEngine on
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} !^(GET|POST|HEAD)$
       RewriteRule .* - [F]

       Redirect permanent /index.html http://www.site.com/main

---- config ----