I'm not exactly sure RewriteRule accepts all sorts of regex, such as
"?".
But if so, I guess the following should do:

RewriteRule ^/projects/design/(.?) http://www.mydoma.in/~michael/$1 [P]

And below:

RewriteRule ^/projects/design/  - [F]

Or even:

RewriteRule .*  - [F]

That would make a call to any script available, but trying to access
root directory return a "Forbidden" response...

Olivier CHIROUZE
I&0 Infrastructure
Volvo Information Technology