Sam Carleton wrote:

> httpd -k shutdown
>
> This should be preferred over pressing Control-C because this lets
> Apache end any current operations and clean up gracefully.
> ------------------------
>
> But it does not work.  Does anyone know why?  I know it is better to
> run it as a service, but that is not an option for my usage of apache.

As nobody uses httpd as an application except in brief testing, it has
relatively little testing and review.  You can always look at the test
framework available via svn from;

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework/

for an example of how the framework invokes and shuts down httpd as an
application for the purposes of testing.

The ctrl+c signal *is* captured and handled, so there is no issue with using
that approach.  Of course, killing the process (TerminateProcess) has the side
effects described above.

Patches are welcome, of course.