Hi,

When we run the command

ps -ef|grep httpd|wc -l  it will give how many HTTPD processes are
running in that machine.

Our web server starts with minimum 1 HTTPD processes only. We have got
HARD LIMIT set to 512 and often when such below mentioned requests
comes to web server, web server HTTPD processes will reach 512 very
quickly and block the further requests.

As these requests are not getting forwarded to application layer and
not creating any page views, don't you think that we should stop such
requests

Or there are any way to find out why HTTPD processes are incrasing so
much and how to avoid web server creating bottleneck for such requests

Thanks in advance

On 19/02/07, Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2/19/07, Srikanth S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are running Apache 1.3.28 on Solaris 8.
>
> Very often, we are getting some invalid requests on apache web server like
below

> "GET / HTTP/1.1" 301 254 "-" "-" "-"
>
> from different IP address.  Even though it is not forwarding this
> request to application layer, it is increasing HTTPD count on web
> server and web server needs to be restarted after it reaching maximum
> HTTPD count in web server
>
> Is there any way we can restrict such requests and also not making
> increase in the HTTPD count due to such requests

I don't see anything invalid about that request.

And I don't really know what you mean by HTTPD count.  Why does your
web server have a maximum HTTP count to start with?  Seems rather odd.

Joshua.