Thanks for the input, but I'll be moving along. I have reasons for keeping
things status quo, and not going to upgrade at this time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Lavi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: February 22, 2007 6:52 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Installing Apache 1.3 on Windows 2003

Why update?

1) Security patches.

You missed the subtle reference that older versions of Apache are
vulnerable and therefore could compromise your system.

2) Apache 1.3x is abandoned on Win32 platforms, 2.2.x is current.

See http://www.wmwweb.com/apache/httpd/binaries/win32/ for part of the
explanation.

Back to your message -- you are not alone: we all manage systems that
are not bleeding edge.

However, that does not mean we aren't aware of the responsibility to
keep them up to date for bug, stability, and security reasons. We all
must calculate the appropriate manner to manage updates.

When it comes to requesting Apache support, you're very unlikely to see
someone to volunteer to help with an older version for the reasons
stated: it's not good advice!

I hope this helps, sometimes hearing the fundamental reason helps on the
second iteration of a discussion.

Cheers,

--Mark
Mark Lavi, Enterprise Web Management Team @ SGI