Thanks, Matt.  I'll try the packet sniffer next.
Meanwhile, I narrowed the problem down to virtual
hosts.  Here's the http.conf on each server:

ServerName mydomain.com:80
NameVirtualHost *:80
# redirect mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com
# has to match ServerName above
<VirtualHost *:80>
   Redirect permanent / http://www.mydomain.com/
   ServerName mydomain.com
</VirtualHost>
# provide webroot for the above redirect
<VirtualHost *:80>
   DocumentRoot /var/www/public_html
   ServerName www.mydomain.com
</VirtualHost>
# allow partner1.mydomain.com to work
<VirtualHost *:80>
   DocumentRoot /var/www/partner1
   ServerName partner1.mydomain.com
</VirtualHost>

So, this makes 10% of the requests fail.  If I comment
out all of the virtual host stuff above, everything
works (but then, of course, I don't get canonical
hostname or partner1 to work).

Anton