Hi,
I'm clearly late to the party but how about not getting apache to
strip whitespace so you can read your html and getting your browser to
do it instead? Firefox has at least one neat plugin/extension that
formats html source into a colourised nested tree format, ignoring
(for the most part, i guess) whitespace issues.

Just my 2B. I don't remember the name of the extension I used for this either.

--
noodl