thanks for the replies, turns out it was a very sublte and sneaky problem. i
had the path stmt incorrect for the error log directive should have been
C:/apache2/logs/......, instead of  C:/apache2/log/...... and  that made the
difference.
it was strange because usually apache complains about a bad path statement
in the startup, and the httpd -S and -f didn't seem to indicate any
problems.
bbxrider