What did you set --prefix to during ./configure?

Did you "find / -name *httpd.conf*"

The config template that comes in the Apache src is going to need more
hand work than the one that comes with the FBSD port.

Shoot me an e-mail offline about your Ports problems (just fwd me
messages) and I'll offer some assistance outside normal FBSD Port
Support channels.

The reason the indignation is unfounded.  Probably just frustration from
the need to support the non-standard method.  They should applaud your
willingness to explore the details of the process.

Keep in mind that they've collectively spend literally thousands of
man-hours optimizing that Port for FBSD.  The old addage that it's
better to compile your server's primary app from source still holds
true, but FBSD is an exception because of Ports.

Only ISVs and OEMs do that, but even then Ports offers flexibility most
of the time that they can start with...embedded developers with extreme
needs maybe.

~BAS