Hopefully this reply will help someone else who has encountered this
problem.  Here is my solution, and my understanding of how it works.

Listen 81

<Location />
#subversion configuratoin
  DAV svn
  SVNParentPath /srv/svnrepos

  # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
  # Require SSL connection for password protection.
  # SSLRequireSSL

  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "ARock Software Subversion"
#set the authentication to ldap
  AuthBasicProvider            ldap

  #Admin binding
  AuthLDAPBindDN cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=com
  AuthLDAPBindPassword mypassword
  AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off

  #Default Search String, this is used to validate users
  AuthLDAPURL ldap://ldap:389/ou=Employees,ou=People,dc=mydomain,dc=com

  #require a member of the dev group.  In my LDAP, the attribute of users
on the posix group is "memberUid"
  AuthLDAPGroupAttribute memberUid
  #the value of the attribute above is a username, not a full name
  AuthLDAPGroupAttributeIsDN off
  require ldap-group cn=development,ou=Groups,dc=mydomain,dc=com

</Location>