I'm running CentOS with Apache httpd V2.0.52-28 and php V4.3.9-3.22.3.
This may possibly be a PHP question, but I can't be sure.  If I've got
the wrong forum, I apologize in advance.

On my web server, the document root is configured as /var/www/html.  I
don't have any problem serving documents from there.  There are also a
number of subdirectories like "admin", "panel", "recordings", etc.
These subdirectories contain some php scripts and other files.

I am testing some php sample applications.  I created a subdirectory
called "samples" and moved the php files into ./samples to keep the
document root tidy.  Once I did, the sample application stopped working
because httpd prohibits access.

The application is /var/www/html/samples/directory.php

When I run the app, here's what I see in /var/log/httpd/error_log:

[error] [client 192.168.168.41] (13)Permission denied: access to
/samples/directory.php denied.

If I move the file back to /var/www/html, it runs just fine.  I
originally thought that it might have something to do with permissions,
but I've pretty much proven that's not the issue.  I also made sure that
the file and it's subdirectory were owned by the user running httpd and
it made no difference.

I also thought that it might have something to do with httpd.conf.
Grep'ing httpd.conf doesn't show any entries for the other PHP
applications that work correctlty in ./admin, ./panel, etc.  So I don't
think that it either.

Is there something that limits what directories httpd will serve or
where PHP applications can reside?

Thanks!

Ken