I'm trying to change my options such that browsing to <http://localhost/> brings
up a list of files in that directory, rather than the fedora default page.

If I rename helloworld.html to index.html, yes, it shows the index.  Also, I can
point the browser to <http://localhost/helloworld.html> and get the desired
result.  So, apache itself seems to be up and running fine.

I've tried several options, and, pardon but the link for more information goes
over my head.  How do I view the contents of /var/www/html from the browser?

Could there be interaction with other configurations/settings?

# Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
# or any combination of:
#   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
# The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
# http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options
# for more information.
#
    Options Indexes