The user will still have to login twice...
I'm sure it's possible.
I've seen at http://www.apacheweek.com/features/userauth the following quote:
"It is also possible to have an arbitrary external program check
whether the given username and password is valid (this could be used
to write an interface to check against any       other database or
authentication service)."
the question is how to do it...

2007/4/24, Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On 4/24/07, Erez Segal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I specifically wants to use my PHP authentication system, with .htaccess to
> protect folders.
>
> I would imagine something like:
> "|is_authorized.php" returning Allow/Deny inside the .htaccess
>
>  how can this be done?

Not like that, but you can use php for HTTP authentication directly:
http://www.php.net/features.http-auth

Joshua.