On 4/30/07, Brent Harsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm configuring Apache (2.0.52 as it came with RedHat EL distribution
and am always seeing 403 denied when trying to download a file via a
symlink.

I have the FollowSymLink directive present in the httpd.conf <Directory>
  section for my docroot directory, as well as in the <Directory />
section.  I know that at least some changes to the config file are
working: I've toggled the Indexes option on and off and see the expected
behavior.  I've also tried enabling this via .htaccess files by allowing
Options overrides and building .htaccess files in the directory.  Again,
similar behavior:  changing the Indexes setting in the local file
results in file listings displayed or denied, but changing
FollowSymLinks has absolutely no effect.

Is there a global "security" setting that I'm missing somewhere? One
clue which makes me ask this is that an identical Apache configuration
seems to work fine on 2.0.54 under FC4.  Google shows lots of basic
references to the Option in the httpd.conf, but I have pretty much
convinced myself I have it set up correctly.  I also searched the mail
archives and haven't seen "sym" discussed in the titles of any of the
archives over the past year (BTW, is all of March 2007 missing?), so
clearly I'm the only one confused out here.  Hate to ask, but I'm not
finding anything in my searches.

The first thing to do is to verify that Options FollowSymLinks is
really the problem. You do this by checking the error log for the
exact error message reported for the failed request.

If it is the Options FollowSymLinks that is at fault, then you should
go through ALL your config files (including any Include'd files and
any .htaccess files) and verify that every single Options directive
includes FollowSymLinks. If you can then get it to work, you can
remove FollowSymLinks from the ones that shouldn't matter until you
figure out which Options directive is causing the problems.

Joshua.