Hi!

Bashiro escribió:

> I want to restart Apache for the same reason why people want to restart any
> other program.
> For freeing memory ? for dumping memory ? for dumping log file?
> for releasing overload, for stability (in order to release hanging files) etc

You don't need to restart Apache for freeing memory. You must tune in
parameters in the config file: MaxRequestsPerChild, KeepAlive,
KeepAliveMaxRequests, Min/MaxSpareServers, and the like. This way you
can get Apache recycle its own childs freeing their memory (and
avoiding swap ;).

You can also think about the modules you need (php, perl , etc) and
the fact that for serving an image you don't need a process with
mod_php or mod_perl loaded in it. If this is the case you should try
lighttpd + mod_proxy + apache.

Hope this helps... :)

Greetings!

--