Thanks for the additional insight. I think I have gotten past the startup
error. I cp'd /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf to httpd.conf.bak. I then
restarted apache and the new installation seems to work. However I have a
couple questions.

I am using the following command line to start the server:

ap0041-macosx:/usr/local/apache2 arthurpesa$ sudo
/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl -k graceful
Password:
ap0041-macosx:/usr/local/apache2 arthurpesa$ which apachectl
/usr/sbin/apachectl
ap0041-macosx:/usr/local/apache2 arthurpesa$ which httpd
/usr/sbin/httpd
ap0041-macosx:/usr/local/apache2 arthurpesa$

As you can see which returns the old version of httpd and apachectl. However
in logs/error.log it claims:
[Wed May 16 10:45:15 2007] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing
restart
[Wed May 16 10:45:15 2007] [notice] Apache/2.2.4 (Unix) configured --
resuming normal operations

Also, the pid in logs/httpd.pid has the same pid as found in the activity
monitor for the process httpd, pid = 249.

So, it seems to work. I am now looking at a permission to access problem.
The Sites folder which is my web root gives me a 403 error:

[Wed May 16 10:51:44 2007] [error] [client 192.168.15.104] client denied by
server configuration: /Users/arthurpesa/public_html

The error is obvious, but where to fix it in the conf file is not. If you
have any suggestions I would appreciate them. I thought about starting a new
thread, but was hoping this is simple enough.

Thanks,
-Pat