I took the mod_rewrite approach, and it works flawlessly. One question I
have, is that I often access the server via its IP instead of the
canonical name. Is there a way to make apache use both domain.tld and
its IP as the server name?

I've tried it with ServerAlias and it didn't make any difference, the
only way I see of doing this would be duplicating the VirtualHost thats
doing the redirecting and using the IP of the box as the server name.

I'm pretty sure thats not a good idea though :p

Scott.