Hi Jan,

Jan van der Merwe wrote:

> I upgraded our Web Server from Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 6. This
> meant an upgrade for Apache from 2.0.54 - 2.2.3  After the upgrade
> Apache wouldn't start because of library problems, eg:
>
> Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 209 of
> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 5 of
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/jk2.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_jk2.so
> into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_jk2.so: undefined symbol:
> apr_pool_get_parent

Sounds like a botched upgrade. In this case it looks like mod_jk2.so is
linked against a different version of APR than you ended up with.

Mod_jk2 is abandoned, and mod_jk is being replaced with mod_proxy_ajp in
the httpd core. Perhaps it wasn't upgraded properly because it's no
longer needed?

> There were also problems with mod_php, mod_ssl... In certain
> circumstances I could start mods by simple making soft links with ln to
> previous library names - this of course is a terrible solution :D

No.  You are right, that is a terrible solution.

> So, my question is: What is the quickest most painless way to fix this
> problem? mod_ssl is fairly important, is there a way to simply install
> the mod again with out having to remove HTTPd first?

Can't really speak to Red Hat's packaging policies and the (lack of)
dependency follow-through in the upgrade procedure.  Your best bet would
probably be to list all the RPM on which httpd and your other modules
depend, and make sure they were upgraded properly, and their
dependencies, etc.

Core 2 to Core 6 sounds like an enormous leap.  Personally I tend to be
suspicious of even a one version upgrade, and start with a clean install
 instead.  You might want to save yourself the pain involved with fixing
your broken OS and install from scratch. You can of course save stuff
like /etc/*most*, most of your httpd config (but look at the upgrade
instructions), site content etc. Just tar that up and move back onto the
new system judiciously.

S.