I'm running it with both PHP5 and mod_perl, without any problems, and I am using the binary (no recompile here, no M$ visual studio)
A success story! Perhaps you can share with me your setup process:
1. Are you installing from WAMP, or via direct binary download from Apache?
2. Are you using the MSI install from ActiveState + modperl 2 via the theoryx5 ppd for Apache 2.2?
3. Any other steps you took (special httpd.conf?) will be helpful

To paint the picture correctly: I have no issues running modperl + Apache2.2 + Windows XP running 99% of the time. It's that 1% that panics the clients.

Thanks.