Joshua Slive wrote:
On 6/4/07, Chris Tankersley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've got a section of the website that I want only .htaccess
authenticated users to be able to access, but I also want to push them
to https://domain.name if they accidentally type in http://domain.name.
If I throw both rules into my .htaccess I'm prompted to authenticate,
then mod_rewrite fires, and then I have to authenticate again.

Is there a way I can tell apache to do the mod_rewrite first, then
authenticate?

Apache 1.3.29 on OpenBSD 4.1

All bets are off when you use those old hacked-up openbsd apache
versions. You're often better off asking on an openbsd list.

But the first question to ask is: do you really need to use .htaccess?
If at all possible, you should put your directives in httpd.conf. Then
the problem is solved simply by putting the auth directives inside the
SSL <VirtualHost> and the redirect inside the non-ssl <VirtualHost>.

Joshua.

Yeah, I know, but it's what I have to work with.

Moving the directives from .htaccess and splitting them into the right VirtualHost directives did the trick. Thanks!

Chris

believed to be clean.