THIS IS A RESEND DUE TO TYPO...

On Jun 18, 2007, at 12:52 AM, Totte wrote:

And as Bill states above one can have a cert (bought from GoDaddy.com)
allowing several subdomains to use the same ssl cert.
My question is if anyone knows how to create it on your own?

If you are going to create the certificates on your own, (self signed certificates) then all you need is one default certificate, and assign the same certificate to each sub-domain...

I have two domains, and one sub-domain with certificates from RapidSSL, and two test domains with self signed certificates, since my purpose with the test domains is merely to encrypt communications for testing, and I don't need to prove to myself that I am who I say I am...

The reason I suggested the "6 in 1" from GoDaddy.com was because the problem you described the other day was one of sub-domains, even though you were describing them as domains.

If you are using name-based virtual hosting, it doesn't matter because only the certificate for the first virtual host will be correct anyway. If you want individual certificates to work correctly, you are going to need to set up ip-based, or port-based virtual hosts. If you want to use name-based vh then you will need a blanket certificate, but that usually is a fairly expensive proposition.

I have 5 public ip's from Verizon 15/2 MBit Business FIOS which I run through a SonicWall TZ 180 Wireless Firewall. It allows me to do a 1 to 1 NAT from each public ip to a corresponding private ip, then I set up Apache to do ip-based virtual hosting and life is swell, but in the past I had tried multiple routers, setting up the server to listen on multiple public ip's relying on the OS X Server firewall, but I never felt completely secure having the servers exposed directly to the web. I have only had this SonicWall for about a month, but I am extremely happy with it, and it solved my SSL problems.

In the next few days I will buy two more SSL Certificates for the two test domains that are currently using self signed certificates, and that will make me very happy.

Best Regards,

Bill Hernandez
Plano, Texas