lsof tells me that apache is using libnsl on startup. I assume it's using
that to acquire the server name. That library appears to use DNS for
resolution despite the fact that nsswitch.conf is set for hosts only.

I commented out the name servers in /etc/resolv.conf and guess what? The
virtual host was correctly bound to 10.37.74.24. Ugh.