I have two goals with my apache server that I hope are not mutual exclusive.

I use apache to proxy requests to a backend user using modproxy and rewrite
rules. (the backend is zope) This works great. I also use apache to handle
ssl. I also have virtual hosts, some ip based, some name based. My rewrite
rule captures all requests to /zs and proxies them to zope.

I have created html docs that have client side redirection for those vhosts
that only serve content from from the zope back end. However, this redirect
seems to take too long for some. So I would like to put a server side
redirect on all requests to '/' so they are redirected to /zs which the
rewrite rule will capture.

I still want to retain the ability to serve content out of the file system,
ie from htdocs. Will the redirect on '/' also capture requests
for /static.html and other content that lives in the file system?

There are also other redirects as well  that I want to preserve.

David Bear
College of Public Programs at Arizona State University