The apache version is 2.0.52-25 running on RHEL 4. The content is a 1k html
file.

When shutting down apache i see the error below in the logs othewise when
apache is running there is no error.

[error] child process 16801  still did not exit, sending a SIGKILL

The service httpd status command shows about 5000 process ids when the load
is at its peak.
Can you give some clue on what other networking logs should i check for?

Regards,
Abhinav

On 7/24/07, Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 7/24/07, Abhinav Bhagwat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to connect 5000 clients simultaneously to apache. I have
increased
> the ulimit and /etc/security/limits.conf limits. I have also modified
the
> httpd.conf to serve MaxClients upto 10000 and increase the Timeout to
1500.
> The keepAlive is set to On as i need to send multiple requests on each
> connection. I keep getting socket-timeout and connection resets at the
> client side. I am use httperf at the client side to simulate 5000
> connections at the rate of 400 requests per second. I can easily get IIS
do
> this without any configuration changes to it.
>
> Any Suggestions ?

Do some more debugging.

Does the apache error log say anything interesting? What does the
server-status display look like under this load? Have you checked
other system logs for networking problems?

By the way, 1500 is way too high for Timeout. You probably want
Timeout set to well under 60 seconds.

Also, you haven't given any details about what version of apache, what
OS, what kind of content is being served, etc.

Joshua.