Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:39:07 GMT

And the headers using apache httpd and mod_proxy:
 HTTP/1.1 202 Accepted
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:43:37 GMT
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

As you can see, httpd is replacing Transfer-Encoding with C-L, which is
breaking things.
I've used 'SetEnv proxy-sendchunked 1' in my httpd config, but it did not
make a difference.

Another kind of response (204 No Content) used for synchronous ACKs has the
same issue.

I'm tempted to hack the mod_proxy code but only has a last resort. Surely
there must be some way to configure httpd to stick with the original
headers.

I'm not familliar with the semantics of 202 Accepted, sorry. Seems
very strange that you would need Transfer-Encoding: chunked for an
empty response though. I don't suppose ProxyBadHeader would help?
Also, you should really use ProxyPass rather than RewriteRule is your
setup is that simple, not that it'll 'fix' this issue.

--
noodl